Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: York 4valve Sousa

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on February 05, 2003 at 11:21:06:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: York 4valve Sousa posted by Lee Stofer on February 05, 2003 at 10:40:04:

A most interesting posting!

My definitely Meister Hans Hoyer 5 valve single Bb horn is engraved as if it is a B&S (B&S was the parent company of the Hoyer workshop).

Why?

Because one Copenhagen brass house had the exclusive rights of representing Hoyer. A new house opened by the Nestor of Danish brass repair had close family relations to GDR and wanted the widest possible selections on its shelves.

Nobody wanted to buy the hybridedly engraved instrument but for yours truly, who only goes for quality over looks. And I got a top level instrument at a price, that was, let's just say, reasonable.

I am a cynic, when it comes to deciphering the brass market. Just read the barrage I currently am enjoying on the sub-parallel low brass forum. I will scavenge good instruments, whenever the opportunity matches my needs.

And I will warn off the less informed from potentially rotten deals, whenever I see them.

However, if the instrument in question is a modestly belled Conn-in-disguise with a 40K valve section, then I would jump for it, had I not the full 1927 40K in gold plate sitting in its Wenger chair a few feet behind me (no endorsing offered by me, as I can know nothing about any state of playability and level maintenance/wear/denting).

Again I like this fine board for promoting knowledge in a way, that does not make me suspicious of corruption.

Klaus

Follow Ups: