Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double-bell Euphonium

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Summers on January 04, 2004 at 23:13:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Double-bell Euphonium posted by Jim on January 04, 2004 at 18:24:03:

I've held this horn... Kevin made it for Ed Mallet when Ed was doing his DMA (thesis on double-bell euphonium...go figure) at Michigan State back around '95-'97. Ed had been a sales rep for the CB euph back in '92 or so when I got mine.

Kevin grafted a Getzen "David Taylor" model bass trombone rotor(I think) on under the valve section and added a thumb trigger which switched the air path AFTER the compensation took place. I also believe that Kevin swore he'd never make another one of these horns as it was (such an effort) to make. The base horn was the Canadian Brass euphonium, made by Willson, now known as the 2975. The final product was a double upright belled euphonium. Yes both bells pointing straight up. Very trick. He also did a great job rolling out a crease in the bell of my Bach 42 which I appeared while I totaled my Jetta... (it was in the trunk)

I've got a 5-valve Beuscher which was my first horn... that's the one I play (infrequently).

Follow Ups: