Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: best BBb tuba I've ever played...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 07, 2004 at 15:02:31:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: best BBb tuba I've ever played... posted by mjg on January 07, 2004 at 13:46:21:

Mine had a different wrap on the fourth, and I'm not sure if the leadpipe entered the first valve at an angle. On mine, the fourth valve tuning slide was the full width of the body and it opened to the top. It was parked right behind the upper bow.

Of course, a picture of a 4/4 rotary tuba looks much like the next. But I know mine was a VMI stencil--it arrived on these shores in the same container as tubas labeled "VMI" and it said "Made in Kliengenthal, Germany" on it.

I've played a similar instrument marked Musica at a local school. Definitely a VMI stencil--not a Musica assembled in Austria from Czech parts like the old Musica F I once owned. It played very nicely, but didn't have the depth of resonance of the York Master to which I compared it. The differences was quite noticeable in that largish rehearsal space.

Rick "still thinking it's tricky to know which is which of these instruments" Denney

Rick "

Follow Ups: