Paris

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Press on January 08, 2004 at 17:41:36:

Hey all. I just got back from a nice 6-day vacation in Paris! What an amazing city! I can't say enough about it. Such amazing architecture, food, people and culture. Anyone interested in seeing some photos can find them at my website listed below.

While in Paris, my fiance and I saw the ballet at the Opera Bastille. The National Opera Orchestra of Paris performed Prokofiev's Ivan the Terrible. The Opera Bastille is the more modern of the two opera houses in Paris. It was beautiful and the acoustic was warm. During warmups, I was surprised to see that there were TWO tubas. At first I thought it was odd that they would double the part, but soon discovered that the work has 2 completely independent tuba parts. It was great!

From a distance it appeared they were both playing Mel Culbertson "Apollo" CC tubas. What a sound they made...big, rich and full with lots of projection. There was plenty to play as there is in most Prokofiev. The orchestra played very well, which made up for the rather dull choreography.

Also, while waiting to get into the Musee d'Orsay there was a street musician that alternated between playing trumpet and trombone while playing accordian, highhat and bass drum simultaneously! Quite a talent!

Follow Ups: