Re: "All Around" F

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by H. Critchley on January 11, 2004 at 09:02:44:

In Reply to: "All Around" F posted by Matt Goosen on January 10, 2004 at 23:06:30:

Matt: I use an F for practically everything now...but in fairness, it is because it is small and I'm getting old. I use a Kalison Professional 2000 6-valve with 2nd valve trigger, which has a huge bore and allows a very rich c-like lower register. The smaller C's, e.g., Yamaha, actually lack the low register that I desire and are approximately the same size. The big F is at home in orchestra settings and wind ensemble, though I use a large bore C or BBb for concert bands. The quintet is where it shines, with its useable 3.5 octave range and huge pedal tones. With 6 valves, depressing the 6th produces an Eb horn, which is handy to go to with 6 flats or more in the key signature. Most F's with only 5 valves miss opportunities to play with their lower registers, and hence give the horn a reputation for high work only. I believe that the smaller F's sound more like euphoniums than tubas, which is OK but leaves one wondering "where's the beef?" H. Critchley

Follow Ups: