Re: sousa stand - cool

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on January 14, 2004 at 17:42:32:

In Reply to: sousa stand - cool posted by bloke on January 14, 2004 at 15:41:47:

I recently have expressed my opinion on the limitations of the Wenger chair. Please follow the link given below here for that one.

You will not make me renege on that opinion, but as I also own and use the K&M sousa stand, I also know the limitations of that support tool.

Where the Wenger chair is not stupid, but inflexible and hard to take out to gigs (cannot be collapsed beyond a size well over that of a euphonium case), then the K&M is overly flexible.

The 3-legged base is very rigid and can be reliably adjusted with a screw with an appropriately large plastic handle (or whatever the term might be).

The angle of the actual sousa support is a very important parameter, which differs from player to player. And here the K&M stand has problems.

Not that one cannot adjust the angle. But the wing-nut intended for securing ones personal angle adjustment does not provide enough leverage to secure a firm position. I simply hate when the instruments slips away from my lips while I am playing.

OK, my sousas are among the heavier ones. The definitely backbreaking Conn 4P 40K cannot be used by means of the K&M stand. Even the slightest body movement will make that stand sway like the Eiffel tower in a gale, when it is overly stressed by the weight of the 40K. So the 40K belongs in the Wenger chair, no matter what limitations one can ascribe to that one.

My 1928 Conn 26K 3P Eb sousa is noticeably heavier than at least some of the post-WWII Conn BBb sousas. So that is the one relegated to the K&M stand.

And I must admit, that if a deal on a 28K 4P Eb not had been reneged on by the seller, I would have bought another K&M stand for that one. The Wenger chairs are too voluminous to justify too many imports across the pond.

Again I only speak from my personal experiences. But then these are real.

Klaus

Follow Ups: