Re: Re: Re: Royal Northern College of Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by School Quality JG on January 18, 2004 at 19:19:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Royal Northern College of Music posted by Chris(real questions) on January 18, 2004 at 17:21:03:

RNCM is a well equipped and must rank alongside some the finest schools worldwide.
Having said that, educational experiences tend to be what you make them IMO.

I'm not sure you can expect to get regular lessons from Mr G unless by special arrangement (you probably know more than I do). A friend of mine had a few lessons from JG and says in the first lesson he learnt more specific techniques to improve HIS own playing than in all of his combined previous lessons. This guy has seen a number of excellent teachers too.

Manchester is a great city with plenty going on musically. Like any biggish city it has good areas and some not-so-good areas. The RNCM has quite a number of international students so it's not like you'd be the only one. I think if you're applying for a post-grad you should get lessons from Roger Bobo which would be pretty special!

I wonder how the costs vary in course-fees between say the RNCM or RAM and America's finest establishments??

Follow Ups: