Re: Re: Re: Chinese Tubas at NAMM

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by PJ on January 19, 2004 at 11:42:46:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Chinese Tubas at NAMM posted by Steve Marcus on January 18, 2004 at 01:28:42:

I was at Namm and was able to try several Chinese tubas (including the Kanstul, Bessons, and an Amati (cerveny) 693). Of the Chinese tubas, I also found Beijing Deyong's Wisemann 3/4 4-piston Bb 202008 to produce a remarkably full tone. I also found their (model 202004), a Miraphone 191 copy to be extremely impressive - I would definitely be interested if they were to be marketed in the U.S. While the finish was not on par with a Miraphone, the feel, tone, valves were indistinguishable. Their 202001 (Miraphone 186 copy) was also impressive with little if any discernible difference to the Miraphone 186. I spent 2 hrs with them trying out all models including the "Sanders Imperial" model. Most of the other Chinese vendors were on the 1st level and trying to discern tonal quality was virtually impossible due to the percussion-jamming nearby.

I can't speak to Yamahas of 30 years ago (I've had a Yam 321 for the past 15), but I think Beijing Deyong's tubas are very well made. I didn't like like the Kanstul, awkward to hold and fingering position could be improved.

Follow Ups: