Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: college marching band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Petters on January 24, 2004 at 22:47:18:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: college marching band posted by Daryl Hickman on January 24, 2004 at 16:12:54:

Darryl,
Yep, knew Heidi well. She played in basketball band with us as well. Also knew Joe Waggoner, a baritone player from Archer, FL if that name rings a bell. Mr Wickes still had a pretty good pipeline of band folks coming from that area after he left UF. I'm from Dade City, so my older siblings went to the Gatorland camps while he was there. And yes, I remember the game well too, sigh.

Aaron,
We thought we were great, but I saw Tiger Band last year and was blown away. Very impressive drill and sound. As far as the horns go, I played a Conn 24J in high school, so I was ready for the sousaphones. In fact, during my audition, Mr Wickes pulled out a 24J and I felt right at home. Larry Campbell had me playing a Miraphone 186 later. Of course I loved playing that horn more than he love my playing. Charlie Villarubia was still there when I started, so I knew I would never compete seriously in music. That's why I majored in history. But I can't complain; I ended up as first chair in the Concert Band by the time I left, but the Wind Ensemble players were a lot better than me.

GEAUX TIGERS

Follow Ups: