Ryan Anthony review

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by bloke on January 25, 2004 at 14:12:52:

Ryan Anthony (trumpet) resigned from the Canadian Brass only about four months ago.

Launching his solo career last night, he was the featured soloist with Michael Stern's IRIS Chamber Orchestra in Memphis.

At no risk of here of making overblown statements, Ryan frankly plays too well to sit in the back of a major symphony orchestra covering the solo trumpet parts. His music is absolutely spellbinding, and any of you who are within driving distance of one of his performances and makes the effort will be rewarded many fold. This is one of those times that you'll not be particularly aware of the instrument being played, but rather the music being transferred through that instrument.

Ryan doesn't have many bookings this year, as he resigned from C.B. at the wrong time of year for his agent to present him to potential '03-'04 venues...but I'm sure he'll be quite busy indeed in the '04-'05 season.

After playing a three mvt. Albinoni violin concerto on piccolo trumpet, he came right back out and did a wild arrangement of "Rhapsody in Blue" for trumpet and orchestra. With applause simply not ceasing and no one in the audience willing to take their seats, he handed an accompaniment part back to the orchestra's pianist (who was on hand for the Gershwin arrangement) and offered a gorgeous rendition of "Someone to Watch Over Me" on his flugelhorn. With the audience no more ready for him to leave than before, the orchestra librarian quickly passed out the parts to "Bugler's Holiday" and the orchestra's two renowned trumpet players, Charles Daval and Jeff Kaye (look 'em up on Google), joined Ryan in a lightning-paced rendition of "Bugler's Holiday"...what a hoot!

Ryan's showpieces were incased in Smetana's Moldau and a Dvorak Symphony (VI - D maj.). What a pleasure to sit next to John Rojak ("Romantic Bass Trombone" c.d., American Brass Quintet, et al) and play those great eastern European standards.

The only BIG downer was that Dave Zerkel was here in town playing a recital the same night and I had to miss that!!!

Follow Ups: