Re: Anyone knows this tuba?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by A long shot on January 27, 2004 at 07:39:09:

In Reply to: Anyone knows this tuba? posted by Hermann Vogt on January 27, 2004 at 06:42:17:

This instrument looks like being very old despite its apparently good condition. The age sign is the old fashioned rotor stop.

The extra loop on the main tuning slide tells of a conversion from an originally higher pitch. I am not aware of a pitch reform in Germany within the last century, whereas the Austrian-Hungarian double monarchy had a high pitch standard for its military bands.

You most likely know of the history of Sudeten area, so I will make a short summation of my guess:

This instrument clearly is out of the Cerveny tradition developed in the areas on both sides of the border between Saxony and Bohemia. The mechanism and the pitch conversion tells me that it most likely has been in use in a Czech band before the end of WWI.

The instrument has not necessarily always been anonymous. The engraving may have been polished off, but the bell material does not look like its strength has been compromissed. So I would rather guess, that there has been a maker's shield, which has fallen off during the long life of this tuba.

This instrument looks like being very old despite its apparently good condition. The obvious age sign is the old-fashioned rotor stop.

The extra loop on the main tuning slide tells of a conversion from an originally higher pitch. I am not aware of a pitch reform in Germany within the last century, whereas the Austrian-Hungarian double monarchy had a high pitch standard for its military bands.

You most likely know of the history of Sudeten area, so I will make a short summation of my guess:

This instrument clearly is out of the Cerveny tradition developed in the areas on both sides of the border between Saxony and Bohemia. The mechanism and the pitch conversion tells me that it most likely has been in use in a Czech band before the end of WWI.

The instrument has not necessarily always been anonymous. The engraving may have been polished off, but the bell material does not look like its strength has been compromissed. So I would rather guess, that there has been a maker's shield, which has fallen off during the long life of this tuba.

Klaus Bjerre of Denmark
Retired teacher

Free music files in .pdf format:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterBBb/
(Approved membership required)

Index over brass instruments gallery and catalogue scans:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/YorkMasterPublicPhotosIII/files/
(Membership is open for all)

Follow Ups: