Re: Intonation (longish)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike on January 27, 2004 at 12:27:06:

In Reply to: Intonation (longish) posted by C(G) on January 27, 2004 at 11:24:47:

Interesting comments and I agree completely. I sing in my church choir and smaller schola group also. Keep in mind that these are not your stereotypical church groups. The main choir is an audition only group of about 85 voices and the smaller group consists of 12 singers of exceptional talent. I find that when I play my tuba more (I am a total amateur tuba player and I don't play very often), I tend to sing more in tune. I also become much more aware of my vocal tuning in relation to the rest of the choir. The only downside is that I also become hyper-sensitive to any variation in pitch. This can be really nasty on those cold Sunday mornings when the choir is tired and the music is a capella. As the pitch of the choir sags it is like fingers on a chalkboard to me. Unfortunately, all I can really do is go along for the ride. Trying to fight an entire choir that is sagging pitch is impossible.

If I was a professional instrumentalist, I would definitely mix in some vocal lessons. It is a fantastic way to train your ear.

Follow Ups: