Re: more questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on January 27, 2004 at 13:38:32:

In Reply to: more questions posted by jon on January 27, 2004 at 12:52:28:

You can get a new Weril (the smaller one) for your price if you shop around.

The Olds o-99 only came with three valves, as far as I know.

Used old-style King 2341's and 1241's can be had in this price range. But be aware that the old-style King is tall and you may find it cumbersome to carry on a strolling gig. If you want one that's relatively dent-free and shiny, it will cost a little more than your limit.

Patience is the key for a used instrument. I found a King 1241 that is one of the best of that whole genre that I've ever played for my wife's uncle. It was at Baltimore Brass. It looked pretty bad, but it is a sweet player. It's shiny now: her uncle polished all the offending lacquer off of it (and that nasty orange stuff, too). Based on that lone example, I'm almost of the mind that the 1241's were better as a class than then 2341's that replaced them. But the new-style 2341 is best of all, though you won't find one in your price range.

Another option is a Yamaha YBB-621, though you'll need a whole lot of luck to find one in your price range.

Rick "who suggest that you call Baltimore Brass to make sure they bring a Weril for you to try" Denney

Follow Ups: