Re: What is considered experience?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by D, Kutz on January 28, 2004 at 18:56:14:

In Reply to: What is considered experience? posted by Frusterated on January 28, 2004 at 14:57:03:

This is a difficult thing to understand, believe you me. I have been turned down from my own fair share of auditions because of what the committee saw as not enough experience. I even once had a letter from a committee stating that "under no circumstance would I be allowed to play at the audition..." I loved that one. I know that there are many that have also experienced the same at one point in their careers.(see any of the posts re: the Boston job) What the committee will consider to be enough experience is really difficult to determine, and I believe that it is all aligned with the "needs" of the orchestra at that time. The MSO for example advertised for a one year position to replace Alan. This was also clearly labeled as an invitation only event. Unfortuanately for some, this type of advertisement basically outlines that they are looking for someone to come in and fill the position until it has been determined that Alan will not return. To keep this as seamless a transition as possible, it is best (for the orchestra, and all of the members) to have someone with enough experience to do such a thing.
What is most notable about this is that the MSO is indeed advertising this position and allowing some people to audition for it, as is not always the case with some orchestras where people have just been asked to fill in for the year without any formal audition process (yes this does happen). This is a good thing, believe me.
There will be more positions opening as the years tick by. Keep applying and go to the ones that make sense for you. Read Sean's post again, it makes a great deal of sense.
Also, read the masterclass notes of Pokorny. These will help to get you inspired, help you to know how to apply (honesty is really the ONLY policy) and what to do when you get there.
DK

Follow Ups: