I Need to Build a Bass Instrument ASAP!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Allison on January 28, 2004 at 22:48:25:

Hi Everyone!

I am particepating in the "Sounds of Music" event at my regional Science Olympiad competition. (A high school competition consisting of different fun scientific events.) I need to build an instrument that I can play and explain the physics of, and I need some suggestions of something I can build relatively cheaply in the next week and then be able to play! Here are the specifications:

*It has to be pitched between C3 and C4.
*It must be able to play a C scale (they might take a tuner to it.)
*There can be nothing electronic, or anything from a toy or a real instrument (with the exception of strings.)
*We must play two selections (as a duet with the other guy who's making a guitar)
--The one they give us is a 16 bar excerpt from "Chester" in 4/4 time. It is written in the key of Bb but can be performed within a fifth of the written key. It goes, as written, from a second line Bb on the bass clef staff to a Bb above the staff. It is mostly stepwise, but has a few jumps--nothing more than a Perfect Fifth. There are no accidentals.
--The second selection is our choice, but we haven't discussed it yet.
*The instrument and performance will be judged on harmony, blend, technique, timbre, suitability of tune for instruments, rhythm, interpretation of music, etc. as well as creativity, variety, and workmanship of instruments.

At this point, I'm really just looking for anything that will function. Some schools have really awesome instruments, but most try to slide by with something that will work. It's one of the most difficult events.

So, if anyone has any ideas of what I could build and where I could find instructions on how to do so, please respond AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Thank you to everyone so much in advance!

~.::Allison::.~

Follow Ups: