Conn Eb sousaphones

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sousa-connsumer on January 30, 2004 at 20:47:55:

Dan Schultz put out the call to trade his Conn 28K 4V Eb sousaphone for a string bass (someone else's).

I obliged and just received his Conn 28K today.

' have had (or played) most all other brands of Eb's, but never the one that I akways suspected would be the best - a Conn. (OK, I've come across a Conn or two, but their valves were totally shot, and I couldn't get a good idea about playability.)

Yep, Conn's apparently the best...tone like a 14K BBb (actually uses a 14K bell) and very good intonation - except for one pitch...the high Bb, which is miles sharp. The 28K (4-valves) can fix the high Bb with 4th valve. Surprisingly, the low Ab (124) is not flat...just right. and the low Gb (1234) for some reason is just about right on as well. The "false" tones (F and E natural) are loud, resonant, and easy to focus. All of the Eb's line up well with each other...Maybe (?) the entire instrument is a bit below 440 (can't tell for sure, since it is S-o-o-o c-o-o-o-o-l-d today), but that is easy to remedy. Facility is tops.

Once I get the valves rebuilt, I expect a performance "boost" out of this instrument that should make it even more enjoyable and easy to play.

Yep, I'd say if you're looking for an Eb sousa (for dixie or whatever), I'd grab one of the 26K-28K Eb's that you occasionally see offered on auctions. I dunno if I'll keep this one for six months or six years, but today I sure had some fun playing it.

Follow Ups: