Re: Will the real tuba please stand up!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by d on February 01, 2004 at 01:45:41:

In Reply to: Will the real tuba please stand up! posted by Dan Schultz on January 31, 2004 at 23:10:32:

There have been many more good experiences both buying and selling on the auction site than the other way around. Anyone, in my opinion, who would stoop to purchasing an instrument made in either India or China is several bricks short of a full load.

From the sellers point of view, he is just doing his job - trying to make a sale. While I know many of you would argue the point, a good instrument or a crappy one has the same attribute when it comes to the seller as he is only trying to make a sale. The best shops in the world of tubas have been known to sell a lemon once in awhile. When a buyer is informed as to the quality and reputation of the instrument and the seller then a good feeling will exist. When the quality or reputation of an instrument is in question is when a buyer feels taken advantage of.

It is still my opinion that if someone buys a Chinese or India(n) made instrument, he or she gets exactly what is paid for.

Having purchased 2 instruments over the past 3 years, I have a good bit of experience at the "how-to" of that purchase process.
1. I didn't even consider one of the 'off brand' horns.
2. I called several well known players and old friends to get recommendations from them.
3. I had a set criteria as to intonation, projection, and tone quality I was looking for. In addition to the criteria, I had a rating system for each element.
4. I traveled to several shows and drove many miles to the east coast to try as many horns as possible.
5. I wasn't trying to "save" money by buying cheap.
6. I bought the best instruments for the best price available.

If you will just remember that a $700 tuba is in the same category as a Yugo (really, really cheap Yugoslavian made car from several years ago and no longer available) and a $10,000 tuba is in the same category as a Mercedes you'll never look at a Yugo ever again. The same goes for the cheap tuba and the expensive, but well made, tuba.

Follow Ups: