Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: which year?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Creedman on July 04, 1999 at 10:23:52:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: which year? posted by Jay Bertolet on July 04, 1999 at 06:55:58:

I’m sorry to disagree Jay but the process did work the way that it should. Like many major orchestras Chicago likes to hear the winners of an audition, especially unknown players, in the context of the full orchestra before offering a contract. I think that this is wise since a player may be able to perform everything that is asked flawlessly in a "solo audition" setting but that tells them nothing about his/her ensemble abilities.

This is not to take away from Tony's abilities, he is an exceptional player, and a nice guy to boot. I think he was very young at the time of the Chicago audition and I can't believe that this success (or failure as some would state) wouldn't make him work that much harder for the next audition. Read his interview in the TUBA journal, Summer 98 I think, and you will see what he got out of his experiences.

As far as Genes audition he was a known quantity to many of the players in the brass section so they felt comfortable enough to offer him the job after his audition. And as you know there is still a two year probationary period so his fate was not sealed ether. When you are going to sit next to a colleague for twenty plus years it is wise to choose carefully.

Follow Ups: