Yamaha YCB-621 CC Tuba question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry M on July 06, 1999 at 09:50:00:

Hello, Listers.

I have a new Yamaha YCB-621 (3/4 size CC tuba), and I'm having real problems with the notes below C on the staff. I can play the C and sometimes the B below it, and that's about it. The C above the staff is very easy. Am I making some basic mistake with this instrument?

I've been playing a yahama YEP-642 euph for the past couple of years, and I've been playing in treble clef. I've been using the same finger combos for the CC, except playing bass clef (i.e., C=open, D=4, E=1+2, F=1, G=open, etc). In bass clef, staff C is pretty "stuffy", B is "stuffier" and A is non-existent.

If anyone would have an idea about what I may be doing wrong, I'd appreciate hearing from you. It's almost like I'm playing an octave too low, except that if I try to adjust by an octave, the notes don't finger correctly.

Do you think I'm just used to the euph and that with practice I'll be able to use the notes below staff C? The mouthpiece I'm using is the one that came with the instrument, so it's the "standard" mouthpiece.

I'd appreciatre any answers.

Follow Ups: