Re: Re: Play-testing, what's it mean for you?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lonny on July 07, 1999 at 06:15:32:

In Reply to: Re: Play-testing, what's it mean for you? posted by Leland on July 06, 1999 at 20:09:41:

Ten years?!? Makes it kinda hard to break into the fraternity doesn't it? I'm a "recreational" player; what kind of advice would you give me, or a high school/college player who's looking for their first horn.

When I bought my horn (from a guy who regularly posts on this BBS) I was able to take a half day off work, have a pilot friend fly me down to where the horn was and play it for an hour or so. True, I didn't have a chance to play it and compare it to a group of other horns, but my playing ability is so rusty after 20 years of non-playing that play testing for me means, "Can I make a sound that's sort of in tune and not too disgusting?" Maybe that's where your ten years comes in. When (if?!?) I purchase another horn, I hope my skill and ability are much more developed so I could tell the difference between different horns.

BTW, I play a Yamaha YBB641. It may be "just a Yamaha" and I know how sad that makes some of you, but I'm having more fun than I've had in a long, long time. My wife and kids on the other hand...

Follow Ups: