Re: Compare and Contrast: MW 2155 vs. Pt-6

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by sam on July 07, 1999 at 20:55:50:

In Reply to: Compare and Contrast: MW 2155 vs. Pt-6 posted by Brett W. on July 07, 1999 at 14:37:55:

When I purchased my MW2155 a few years back (about three) the 2155 was a far superior horn than the PT-6s I play tested. The PT-6's both the 6P and the 6, had some major intonation problems and lots of the notes weren't "live" sounding, they were almost completely dead. SInce then the B&S company along with the help of Dan Perantoni, I'm sure of, have made major advancements in the production of these horns. Recently I had the opportunity to play test a PT-6P straight off the assembly line. And this horn was fantastic major improvements have been made to the horn. If I had the money I would buy a new PT-6P no problem. Now, on the otherhand the MW2155 has its own problems and advancements. Also relativly recently I talked to Dave Fedderly owner of Baltimore Brass Co. and principle tubist of the Baltimore Symphony. He told me that the MW2155 have chnged recently too. I noticed that the valve stroke on my horn has shorter than the fresh off the line 2155. He said this due to two different factors. A.) Meinl-Weston just started making their own valves out of stainless steel (Before as I understand they were made by Walter Nirschl). And B.) the bore size had changed, in my horn it's .750 in the new ones it's 770. The new 2155 is a nice horn but no match for my older 2155 and sure as heck is not a match for a new PT6. Also, when you are trying out the 2155's watch out for what year they were made. About two years ago, MW's major instrument assembler grew ill and had to take leave. Therefore a not so as skilled craftsman took over and left some unsightly blobs of solder in some of the joints in the tuba. So watch out this can cause you maybe to pick the wrong instrument. A cleaned up MW2155 is probably the best buy for the buck.
As to tone and sound simalarities to my ear they sound completely different. (Using the same mouthpiece in both of course). The PT-6 has a little more clarity where the MW2155 is a little more dry. They both lie well in band and orchestral settings. But the new PT6's I think are better in a solo setting. It has a little more punch and the notes seem to speak a little better as compared to the MW2155.

sorry about the long post. hope this helped.
sam

Follow Ups: