Re: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece backbores

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on July 10, 1999 at 08:36:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Mouthpiece backbores posted by Jan L on July 09, 1999 at 22:38:20:

Your statements in the last paragraph you wrote are exactly the problem I'm talking about. I don't know any tuba players that have their mouthpieces "fitted" to their tubas. And the way things are currently constructed, there is no way to tell if the mouthpiece goes in the proper distance to where it is flush with the leadpipe within the receiver. One of the problems is that there are no standard construction rules for receivers. Some manufacturers use their own custom built receivers. Some simply place a ferrule around the end of the leadpipe. The operative thought here is that everybody is doing their own thing which makes it impossible for mouthpiece manufacturers to adopt standardized dimensions for the outside diameters, tapers, and lengths of backbores.

There are 2 possible solutions as I see it:

1) Have all the manufacturers of mouthpieces and tubas agree on standardized measurements and shapes for the outside dimensions of the backbore of moutpieces and the inside dimensions of receivers (Not likely to happen).

2) Develop a tool for measuring a receiver and a moutpiece to see if they will fit correctly. That way, you would at least know if modifications were needed and where. I wonder if receivers could be made of Lexan without adversely affecting the acoustics of the instrument...

Follow Ups: