Re: Re: Which gigbag?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck on July 13, 1999 at 14:38:04:

In Reply to: Re: Which gigbag? posted by S. Lamb on July 13, 1999 at 13:13:59:

I've got RB, Altieri and Tuxedo bags for various tubas. None is a substitute for a good hard case.

I don't much care for the top-loading feature of the Tuxedo bag, particularly with a tall horn--protruding bits of the horn (valves, water keys) seem to be prone to snagging the lining as you slide the horn in or out of the bag. And there's no bell stiffener on mine, but that was easy to remedy by sewing a round sheet of 3/8 plywood into the cover.

Donna Altieri impressed me as being willing to work out whatever custom changes you want to the bag; but I wonder about the durability of the plastic hardware and the thinner padding. The straps and fabric are certainly good and heavy though and the bag packs easily on the back.

RB seems to be the best made of the bunch (mine is cordura, not leather), with pretty good protection, but I suspect that you can easily ding ANY tuba in a soft bag without much difficulty.

I suspect that any of the above manufacturers would probably be willing to customize their standard design to fit your particular needs for little or no extra charge.

My .02 anyway.

Follow Ups: