Re: College searching; tuba scholarships?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Morris on July 13, 1999 at 16:55:47:

In Reply to: College searching; tuba scholarships? posted by Antonio on July 13, 1999 at 13:41:23:

Don't overlook band programs. I went to school (University of Georgia) on a band scholarship even though I did not enter as a music major. Being a music major was not a requirement for any of the performing groups; you just had to play well enough to win the audition. I suspect that a lot of schools are the same way.
I was also able to use my elective hours to take private tuba lessons with David Randolph (a superb player and teacher, who helped me a lot) as part of my course work, even before I changed my major to music.
This brings up another point. A lot of students find that their outlook, goals, and so on change while they're in college. Only you know what you want to do, but don't think that the major you declare when you enter school is set in stone. I changed from pre-med to music (organic chemistry 101 took care of that!) and my roommate changed from music to economics. Both of us made the right decision.
Good luck!

Follow Ups: