Re: Tuba Players

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Miller on July 14, 1999 at 13:57:17:

In Reply to: Tuba Players posted by Tim on July 13, 1999 at 15:27:41:

The bottom line on Yamaha products is simple. The generally are good sounding instruments but are not built well for the long haul. Marketing on Yamaha instruments is definately aimed at the broadest market, which is beginner and intermediate horns. I don't fault Yamaha for this at all, more power to them! They do have a few special designs that are endorsed by prominate professionals, and I'm sure a little more quality control does go into these horns. A euphonium student of mine recently brought his horn in (YEP321) for a chemical cleaning hoping it would clear up some gummy valves. After careful inspection of the horn, it was found that the machining of the pistons had been done horribly. They were rubbing the casing very tightly in some spots and not even touching in others.

On another point. To compare Kelly O'Bryant's tuba to any factory Yamaha is a bit of a stretch . It may have been a Yamaha in some past life. It has been totally tweeked by the boys at Dillon music, and a fine job they did. It does have the sweet upper register expected on an F tuba, but it also has the guts down low that would rival many CC tubas.

Follow Ups: