Re: Tuba Questions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gary Swart on July 17, 1999 at 11:31:28:

In Reply to: Tuba Questions posted by Doug on July 12, 1999 at 20:44:58:

Doug, the closest Miraphone # to "MF 191" is a new model S191B. Its a BB. Have no clue to sound. WBW sells it for $4695. If I were you, I'd seriously shop for a new dentist. Granted if Johnny in his junior high marching band turns the wrong way and collides with another sousaphone, he might lose a tooth or three, but playing a brass instrument????? I don't think so. Balance of a ensemble of 11-13? I guess perhaps 3-4 trumpet/cornet/flugle, 2 euphoniums, 2 'bones, 3-4 horns, and tuba. As far as a BB/CC combo horn, I never heard of any, but the previous answer of Getzen and Alexander indicates that I don't know everything (we won't tell my wife this) I'd be quite skeptical of such an instrument. We have enough problems getting our BB or CC or EE or F to play in tune with good intonation without trying to a an 2-in-1. There's always discussions on which is best, BB or CC, and the answer is neither. You can play orchestral works with a BB, and concert band work with a CC, perhaps some fingering patterns are a bit simpler, but I think you'd trade one minor woe for a much larger one. If the 2-1 was a good idea, why don't they make them?

Follow Ups: