Re: Re: Re: Acousticoil?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan L on July 18, 1999 at 17:27:27:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Acousticoil? posted by Wanna buy a swamp in the desert? on July 17, 1999 at 16:59:40:

WOW! When I posted my experiences with the acousticoil, I knew there might be negative comments. All I know is, it works well for me in specific applications. It may not be worth two cents for tuba.

When I discovered acousticoils, I had already been experimenting with removable devices that would temporarily reduce the bore size of my trumpets when I needed help for out-of-shape chops. My trumpet jobs are mostly dance band and swing band gigs; I sometimes get called at the last minute to play lead trumpet in a big band. When I get these calls and I haven't been practicing, I have two choices: (1) use a smaller, shallower mouthpiece, or (2) use a smaller bore horn with a brighter sound. Either choice would get me thru a 3-4 hour gig on lead without embarrassing myself too much. Choice #1 is out, because I have found out it doesn't work for me. As for choice #2, installing the acousticoil in my old large bore Benge accomplished the same thing without resorting to switching horns. And, the horn still put out the volume and power of a large bore. Recently though, I had a new leadpipe put on my old Benge that made it play more like a medium-large bore. In effect, it is now a dual-bore horn and I don't use the coil very often.

I know that acousticoils may sound like snake oil, but what I like best about them is that I can keep using my beloved old large bore horns on all my jobs. Once or twice a year I take a vacation from my day job (which has nothing to do with music) and go on tour with a band. After a couple of days on tour, my old "full-time" chops come back and the acousticoil comes out of my horn. I'm back to full strength, playing a large bore horn again.

I'm not touting this as a cure-all. It just happed to be what I was needing. Using the acousticoil should not be considered a substitute for practice. But it does help out this old semi-retired professional player when I get those last-minute calls to play lead. After 30+ years of playing professionally, both full-time and part-time, I know a little bit about what does and doesn't work for me.

I paid $35 + $2 S&H for one acousticoil. Less than half the wages for one gig. I works for what I use it for, and I didn't have to buy more horns or mouthpieces. $37 was pretty inexpensive in my book. However, it may not do anything for tuba except lighten your bank account.

So, everyone is entitled to their opinion. All I can suggest is, try one and if it doesn't work, send it back. Mr. Novy will give you your money back. The real test is, do I get hired back for lead jobs? The answer is yes. I'm working and other guys aren't.

Someday when the world is perfect and I am able to practice and/or play several hours a day, every day, I probably won't need the coil. Until then, I will keep using it when I need it.

jan

Follow Ups: