Re: Re: best practice room?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 19, 1999 at 03:33:39:

In Reply to: Re: best practice room? posted by Phil Rubin on July 14, 1999 at 21:16:31:

Couldn't resist! :-)

Sometimes, I practice in a small practice room for the same reasons as Phil -- I hear every articulation-type thing that's wrong. I can't fully trust tuning in there though, because some of the room's pitches are very close to the horn's, and they'll actually interfere with the played pitch. I have yet to try using earplugs to keep volume bearable in that small room, but that might help. The players I know that practice exclusively in those rooms have a tiny sound that doesn't get off the stage in a performance, though (of course, that might be just them, too).

I play often in our band room because of its size and lack of abusiveness when I want to move wind. It also has a domed ceiling, and although it's nearly impossible for a conductor to hear anything specific in the full band, the dome provides enough feedback of tonguing and fuzziness to be useful in solo practicing.

Every once in a while I'll play in our recital hall. Sometimes I'll be in the acoustically perfect solo spot, and other times I'll sit back where our tuba section sits during band and wind ensemble performances. "Dress rehearsal" is a good term.

I don't like to play in our choir room because its reberb is almost abusively strong. But, if I can achieve clarity in there, I'm in good shape for the recital hall.

Home? Not yet -- it's hard to be a good neighbor with a tuba in a basement apartment. I'd like to try a Silent Brass, though.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: