Re: Mahler Symphonies.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Lloyd on July 21, 1999 at 15:34:15:

In Reply to: Mahler Symphonies. posted by Dan Bryce on July 19, 1999 at 15:13:22:

As a tuba player I strongly recommend the recent recording on Deutche Gramophone of Mahler's 6th symphnony with Pierre Boulez conducting the Vienna Philharmonic. The Tuba is recorded in such a way that it sounds like it was miked separatly, even though the recording was done using minimal miking. It's catalog number CD 445 835-2. I keep stuffing into the CD players of fellow tubists and they are always gratefull.

I also concur with Brian's recommendation of the 2nd with the NY PHil under Walter. Walter was probably Mahler's closest protoge, witnessing Mahler conducting these works and conducting them himself under Mahler's direction. For a more modern recording of 2nd the Birmingham Symphony under Simon Rattler (who just got the Berlin Pilharmonic conducting post) is incredible both as a recording and a performance. The brass chorale in the 5th movement is incredible.

Playing a Mahler Symphony is one of the most incredible experiences one can have as a musician. Each of his symphonies has tuba parts that are absolutely incredible, with both exposed soloistic passages and wonderful sections for the low brass section. I've was able to play tuba in the 2nd this spring and I just got done playing percussion in the 7th last Sunday. Both experiences will be among the highlights of my musical life.

Follow Ups: