Re: Re: Re: Re: B.E.R.P. for Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Lamb on August 01, 1999 at 14:11:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: B.E.R.P. for Tuba posted by Joe S. on July 22, 1999 at 00:54:44:

I agree with Joe that the horn must be used for refining the tonal color, but I disagree that the it can only be done with the instrument. There's something that I read on the internet from a Norman Bolter (trombonist with Boston Symphony) masterclass at New England Conservatory:

When buzzing, strive for mouthpiece resonance, not mouthpiece buzz.

I feel that this in itself can help enhance the beauty of tone color. Don't get me wrong, I don't feel that this idea of mouthpiece resonance is a means to an end when concerning tone color, but I feel that if you can make the mouthpiece sing, adding the horn is only a magnification of that. I also believe that buzzing can help with consistentcy of tone color throughout the registers of the instrument. If you can get the mouthpiece to sound with an even tone throughout all notes, then doing the same on the horn is much easier.

In all of this, the instrument must be added for the final equation. As I said, buzzing is not a means to an end, but I feel it's a step in the right direction.

Follow Ups: