Re: Hirsbrunner euph

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lawrence Van Ameyde on July 03, 2000 at 10:26:14:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner euph posted by Scott on July 02, 2000 at 22:21:13:

Scott,

I use an HB-LB and find the intonation is VERY good. Like all instruments, there are good and bad. The player is also a big factor, that is to say I might really like one horn and someone else may not.

Before I started using this HB-LB, I was using a Willson 2950. It was a tough choice, but the HB really was easier to do everything on (for me).

My horn is a "hand made", I've been told and has Hirsbrunner valves like the ones I see on their tubas (i.e., large diameter, large bore, open wrap on the compensating knuckles).
I have seen and played HB euphs that have the same or very similar valve sets that are used on Willson euphs (in fact the parts were interchangable). I personally did not care for these. To me they were a lot harder to play, alittle stuffy and a lot less flexible.

As far as price is concerned, I bought mine several years ago so I'm not much help in this department, but can tell you this, Custom is somewhat flexible on the price, and the more serious they feel you are, the more serious they will be. I know this sounds weird, but it has been what I've witnessed.

You have said they are charging $500 more than Willson for an HB. My advice to you would be to get you best price on a Willson and then go try some HBs. When you go, take hard copies of price quotes with you so they will know you've done your homework and are serious. Check out David Fedderly's Baltimore Brass for Willsons. He's very accomodating and pleasant to work with if you do end up going the the Willson route.

All in all, I am happy with my HB-LB. You judge for yourself.

Good luck,

Lawrence Van Ameyde

Follow Ups: