Re: What's wrong with St. Petersburg Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil M on July 03, 2000 at 22:10:39:

In Reply to: What's wrong with St. Petersburg Tubas posted by Jacob on July 03, 2000 at 00:11:04:

Maybe things are a lot different in the US than in Canada. I dunno. When I ws in Jr. High and HS, I would have loved to have had the chance to toot on a full sized horn even if it was of lesser quality. I spent my 7 pre University music playing 3/4 yamaha BBb 3 bangers, I played on three, all in varioius stages of decay. Not bad horns, but quite tiny. My HS had two of these things....that was it...I've also witnessed, as I'm sure we all have, some terrible things happen to instruments. A good friend of mine played on a 3/4 horn in HS that had been rolled (sans case) down a staircase by it's previous player. Was the only playable horn in his band program...In light of that, maybe it doesn't always make sense for school programs to buy "pretty good horns" If I were teaching I know I would feel a lot better about having three lesser horns around than 1 good one...they're all gonna get dented, no matter how nice.
Also, ya don't need a real nice horn to develop things like musicality and breathing. Any horn is better than no horn right?

To add one more comparison (cars again): a pinto, or, even a *dare I say* Hyundai Pony will still get a person place to place, but a...oh...1970 Doge Challenger with a hemi and a four speed will get the job done in much finer fashion. The '70 is way expensive nowadays, but we've all got to get around right?

Well folks....I hope I sound remotely coherent ( not reading this over)

ciao,

Neil M

Follow Ups: