Re: Re: Re: Re: popularizing the tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick on July 04, 2000 at 23:47:32:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: popularizing the tuba posted by Bill on July 04, 2000 at 19:23:07:

I'll only post one reply, for this is not the forum....

That said...

You give us a report of some observed stereotype all the while perpetuating the stereotype of the racist southerner. You make the statement "Then I moved down South..." You might as well have said "Wouldn't you know it, they even have racial stereotypes for tubists down here! Crazy Southerners" Furthermore, it would have been more accurate for you to be as specific as possible about where you observed this stereotype. For you to make the open-ended statement "down South" (referring to the south as a proper noun and as some sort of delineated, bordered underworld) you are, in fact, perpetuating a stereotype. Would you please tell us where the north ends and the south begins (are you busy thumbing through your freshmen history book for the list of seccessionist states?). Please inform us which states we need to be on the lookout for this stereotype. I think we all need to be prepared as we spread the tuba gospel. Have you been to Utah to see if this stereotype is rampant there? How 'bout Iowa? North Dakota? Do I make my point clear?

The problem is you are painting with an awfully large brush. I grew up, went to grade school, went to college, and taught in the public schools for five years in a southern state and have not heard, observed or perpetuated this stereotype you perceive. Perhaps I'm in a state (or at the very least, a plantation) that does not meet the parameters of your "South".

"I am one of you."

Who am I? I'm an American who happens to live in a state closer to the equator than most. And I certainly am NOT someone who likes to make open-ended, close-minded, sweeping statements. Of how little consequence is "popularizing the tuba" when you feel some burning need to contribute anecdotal evidence of a stereotype. Perhaps you should read your posts a little more empathetically before punching that "Submit Follow Up" button.

Follow Ups: