Re: Re: Re: Re: An Alpine Symphony

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tommo on July 05, 2000 at 06:23:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: An Alpine Symphony posted by different opinion on July 04, 2000 at 04:06:02:

I'll second the VPO/Ozawa recording. In addition to what Barry mentioned, the 1st trumpet is an absolute GUN! On that recording, he plays with one of the brightest, straightest sounds I've ever heard from a trumpet. I'm not sure whether he was just flattered by the recording but it's amazing stuff all the same. Should hear him ping out those top Ds. Whoa! The Viennese horns also sound great. Again, with using smaller bore instruments, they get a very bright sound. Quite different from the American horn sound. According to Viennese tradition, the horns might have been doubled.

On the tuba front, those little F tubas sound great. In parts, they sound bigger than what they are. One night, after some wine though :-), whilst listening to the recording with a friend, the question was raised on whether they perhaps used BBb tubas on that recording as they do in Germany? The tuba were sounding that big. I guess it's one of those things you'd have to be at the session for. Maybe someone who knows the Vienna scene really well could tell us how stringent they are with using more traditional instruments. Maybe on occassion they do pull out some bigger tubas.

A big fan of Vienna,
Tommo

Follow Ups: