Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with St. Petersburg Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on July 05, 2000 at 14:50:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: What's wrong with St. Petersburg Tubas posted by Dale no I am NOT Fred Sanford Phelps on July 05, 2000 at 11:04:10:

Dale, I agree with what you say. Your comments fit pretty well into my statement that they are offered at a price point that makes people who knew they could not afford a tuba reconsider that opinion. And I agree that it is often a bait-and-switch sales tactic that keeps them in such a horn even though the price has worked its way up to the same prices as better alternatives. I hope I didn't attach the word "necessary" to "price point."

Someone sees the ad, as you say, for the kilobuck tuba. They blink, shake their head, and start to dream of actually owning a gen-u-ine, 4/4, large-bore, rotary tuba instead of that used, leaky, dented three-valve Besson Stratford. They call the store, and get worked up to three grand. Instead of backing off and considering what else might be available for three grand, they are hooked and make the purchase. Then they come to Tubenet and ask for justification for their purchase, and the argument ensues once again. Or, perhaps, they ask before buying, but the negative answers they get douse the dream, or put them (or someone else) on the defensive, instead of steering them in a better direction. Benjamin Franklin, aga Poor Richard, addressed this better than P.T. Barnum.

I know this process. I went through it myself in 1985, when I replaced said Stratford with a $1500 demonstrator Sanders (nee Cerveny). Yes, it was thin and not very durable, but it was still a worthy instrument, especially for the price. I definitely got my money's worth. But it is probably just as well that the Russian tubas were not available then.

I like your analogy orchestral tubas and Ferraris, and we all like talking about them even though we will never own one. But the articles in Road and Track that I saved were the ones that praised the cars I had (already) bought.

Rick "No argument from me" Denney

Follow Ups: