Re: Hirsbrunner euph

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jason on July 09, 2000 at 23:26:47:

In Reply to: Hirsbrunner euph posted by Scott on July 02, 2000 at 22:21:13:

Got to play a HB euph a few months ago. A very refreshing change. Very easy to blow through, especially those persnickety notes below the staff (Db-C-Cb). I play a Willson 2900, and the HB played a little easier, but the sound was a little too dark and mostly unfocused (much like my experiences with the Willson 2950). I found the intonation on the horn that I played to be VERY good in its middle and lower registers, but a little suspect in the upper register (Bb5-F5). The gentlemen whose horn I played said that he spent $12,000 for it, but I do not take stock in that. I believe you can find the horn for $6000-$7500, which I think is a little too high.

The horn has very high quality standards. I, however, have a hard time overlooking the sound (not exactly characteristic and the intonation of the upper register. Besides, for $2,500 less, you can get the Willson or the Besson, and with the money saved, you can buy a gig bag and a cabinet full of sheet music and CDs.

I would have an easier time reccommending an HB euph to a trombonist who is filling in for a Euphonium line. Why? It will probably help darken the trombonium sound coming through the horn. Hope this helps!

Follow Ups: