Re: High Register

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph Felton on July 10, 2000 at 15:54:00:

In Reply to: High Register posted by Doug on July 10, 2000 at 15:16:54:

Your best bet is to spend plenty of time up there. Start out in your money register first thing until your comortable and then expand outwards in both directions. Invest in a copy of the Rochut bordogni for trombone books. Pick an etude(i like number 2) and play it one octave down from where it is written until you can play it very well then work it up another octave down and as written. Always keep music at the forefront and maintain the ease of playing that you developed in the middle register version.

That is the approach that I think will give you the best results but if you are looking for a technicians answer I would also encourage you to be aware of your air speed as you go higher. It ought to be faster. If you want to become familiar with this concept look into one of those incintive spirometers that brian frederickson sells. Put it on the turbo setting and see how high you can buzz and still keep that ball floating. I suspect that this will be a real eye opener for you. Much of having a solid high register revolves around learning how to let the air to do the work for you rather than muscling everything into place. This will also improve your sound in general.

good luck!
joseph :)

Follow Ups: