Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for something to do...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ken Sturgeon on July 11, 2000 at 04:30:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Looking for something to do... posted by Jon Piper on July 10, 2000 at 21:38:10:

Sorry to hear your not able to do the tour. It sounds like not much has changed since I was there. The "Artistic Director" back then was Campelia. I don't remember his first name or if I spelled his name correctly, but he was not easy to work with to say the least. The title Artistic Director is actually not so uncommon among orchestra conductors. I don't know Jeff Edmonds, but the policies of SDYS were pretty rigid when I was there and tended to be unsympathetic to its members. Instead of finding a substitute for someone who couldn't make a tour or concert for what ever reason, they just booted that person and replaced him or her perminantly. Even if it was no fault of there own. Granted, there was a fair share of irresponsable people and parents of members in that orchestra, but a large number of instances were just coldly dealt with. I could name some instances and experiences, but I would be way to long winded.

I sympathies with your situation and believe me you are not alone with raw deals from that group. Just remember, there are many, many groups out there besides them. I would take a few lessons from Matthew Garbutt or Brent Dutton and start networking yourself to get some gigs no matter what they are. Get your name on the map and I think you'll find the gigs will increase both in quantity and quality if you play your cards right. There are a few community orchestra's and bands in San Diego to get involved in.
I wouldn't burn any bridges even with SDYS. Concentrate on getting other gigs. LA isn't even to far to network yourself. There are alot of good tuba players up there, but you never know when they may need YOU if they can't get anyone up there. I don't know what college plans you have now if at all, but getting all of the experience you can where ever you are will only benefit you later. I apologize for the length of this dissertation, but I just wanted to try and help out.

Best wishes,
Ken

Follow Ups: