Re: Convertable BBb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on July 11, 2000 at 22:28:36:

In Reply to: Convertable BBb Tubas posted by Kendall Prinz on July 11, 2000 at 00:24:24:

Yamaha now makes a convertible marching version of its big BBb tuba # 201/321. I do not know the exact model number of the convertible model. I think you can even get them with four valves. Many corps use these horns because you can actually get a G tuning slide for the horns to use them as contrabass bugles. These horns are much larger than most convertibles and will produce a much better sound than the smaller horns which are usually used for convertibles. Another option would be to use King 2340 BBb tubas with forward facing bells. You can get harnesses for them to make them easy to carry; like a big baritone horn! Indiana University of PA uses these in their marching band. What a sound! You could then get a second upright bell for indoor use. Conn used to make a convertibel model of its 12J tuba where you switched the first and third valve tuning slide and then played the valved upside down. It was a neat idea but didn't last long. that was a pretty good sounding convertible also. I still do prefer the sousaphone also. ken k

Follow Ups: