Re: Convertable BBb Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on July 15, 2000 at 01:04:05:

In Reply to: Convertable BBb Tubas posted by Kendall Prinz on July 11, 2000 at 00:24:24:

Conn 20K, or a King sousie (my choice), or Kanstul convertible (or non-convertible, for that matter), or the Yamaha YBB-201M convertible (I don't believe they make a "321M" [4-valve] convertible), or a monster 5/4 Willson-built DEG marching tuba (if they ever get smart and produce one, modeled after their contra "bugle"), or talk to UMI, Meinl, VMI/B&S, or whomever about making a kicking pro-quality convertible.

No less than 4/4 size, and no smaller than a 19" bell. Anything smaller is only good for target practice with a deer rifle. Seriously. I would if I could.

(sorry for all the parenthetical statements... oops, sorry, added one more...)

Oh, and just FYI, there are corps in DCI using Bb brasses (with F mellophones), and word is that they're doing very well. I haven't heard them myself yet, though. If it all works out well, there should be some new models of marching tubas showing up in the next few years. Should be interesting to see how the newest variant of the tuba family evolves.

Follow Ups: