Re: Re: Re: custom work

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Gus Pratt on July 18, 2000 at 15:42:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: custom work posted by Eric Knechtges on July 17, 2000 at 15:09:00:

The main reason I have 6 valves on my Eb is because the 2 clusters were already in sets of 3 since they came off of BBb sousaphones. It was easier to construct with since valves then the typical 4 or 5. For 4 or 5 valve I would have had to break down the cluster which I didn't want to do. My horn is set up with the 4th valve being typical. The other 2 valves on my horn are set up as a flat whole step, and a quarter step valve. The setup is actually the center valve of the left hand is the quarter step, and the third finger of the left hand is the flat whole step. This gives me a whole lot of options. Originally my plan was to use a flat half step valve using the same tubing of the second valve that was already there but I couldn't reach my hand around with the tubing sticking straight out so I shortened to the quarter step. So to create a correct length flat half step I use the quarter step and the second valve. I also use the quarter step valve as I get lower and the notes get sharper I just press this valve to lower the notes a little. A fingering list for the low notes on my horn is as follow (L means left hand, R means right): Bb L1, A-R2+L1+l2, Ab-L1+L3, G-R2,L1,L2,L3, Gb-R1+R2+L1+L3, F-R2+R3+L1+L2+L3, E-all 6. All these notes are in tune with no slide pulling except the low E that I lip down to get in tune. These fingerings are more in tune then a compensating horn. Ocassional I'll use the quarter step valve to put 1+3 or 1+2+3 in tune if I use it out of habit. Keep in mind my horn is custom. Most 6 valve F tubas use a flat second.

Follow Ups: