Re: Info on Yamaha tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Neil M. on July 23, 2000 at 19:37:11:

In Reply to: Info on Yamaha tubas posted by Shawn Q on July 23, 2000 at 01:10:42:

I'm playing on the YCB 861...and I like it a lot. here's a few thoughts....

I got mine as a demo model, so it was essentially brand new (rotors weren't yet broken in)

1. It's a real pretty horn.
2. The valves work quite nicely, and are quiet. paddles are designed for a player with a hand on the large side though.
3. Intonation is very consistent, no need to pull slides at all. I must say however, that someting's amiss with the 5th valve. It's a little too flat, but not a drastic problem.
4. It sounds Great....I use a big Dillon G5B for band work and a conn h-berg for solo/quintet stuff. Nice and fat sound all around.
5. Very free blowing horn.
6. I like it a lot.

My partner in crime at school has the 822. he and I are both tall, and we have both fouind the lead pipe to be a little on the low side.
The mass of slides on the beast makes it a little tricky when it comes to tune it...(I think there are 11)
It does sound nice. The 822 and the 861 are quite different in sound.
I know he's had a lot of frustrations with the pistons...tolerances are a tad one the tight side and and he goes throuhg a lot of oil to keep 'em moving. I imain he'll end up getting them lapped before too long.

that's enough out of me I think, either way, you own't end up with a bad horn, if you can, honk on the 861 too, to compare with the 822.

Good luck,

Neil

Follow Ups: