Re: Eb mouthpeices

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on July 25, 2000 at 21:11:05:

In Reply to: Eb mouthpeices posted by Tuba John on July 25, 2000 at 17:13:11:

Hi, Here is another Eb player with a name that starts with K!!! Anyway, I play an old Boosey & Hawkes, which is comparable to the modern Besson 982 Eb. I use 2 Denis Wick mouthpieces with the horn depending on the sound I want and the tessitura of the music. When I play in a band or orchestra where I stay mostly in the lower range I use a Denis Wick 2. This mouthpiece also opens up the sound quite a bit. When I play in my brass quintet and tuba quartet (where I usually play the high tuba part) I use a Denis Wick 4. This mouthpiece gives a very focused sound and the articulations are very clean and clear. I really like the Wick mouthpieces. They are fairly heavy but yet have a quick response. The 2 is similar to a Conn Helleberg, I also use a 2L (with a large shank for my sousaphone and King BBb tuba.) (I should mention that my Boosey has the smaller European mouthpiece receiver so it takes the Denis Wick mouthpieces without the "L" suffix. The mouthpieces with the "L" suffix have the standard full size shank. It is not an extra large shank like some mouthpiece manufacturers make.)
Sorry my message got so long. I hope I did not confuse you more.
ken k

Follow Ups: