Re: John Williams Tuba Concerto

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jobey on July 26, 2000 at 02:28:45:

In Reply to: John Williams Tuba Concerto posted by Dave on July 25, 2000 at 22:00:17:

I actually have Chester's copy of his premier of the concerto. I'm sorry, but I can not and will not send copies of it, but I will say that it is very different than the now printed versions of the concerto. For those of you who do not know the story, I'll shed some light...
About a year or two after Chester premiered the Concerto, JW asked him to do it the next season with the POPS. This was when Chester took his sebatical from the BSO and BPO. Well, in the meantime, JW asked Doug Yeo (bass t-bone of BSO/BPO) to perform it on bass trombone for the season since Chester was gone. Doug did it, but he made many revisions to the Concerto so it would fit better for bass trombone. "His" version is the one we all now have in our files. The first time I heard Chester's recording, I didn't even recognize about 30% of it. Something I found very interesting and thought others might find interesting as well. Dave, I'm sorry but I do not know of any commercial recordings of the Concerto.
-Jobey
-Jobey

Follow Ups: