Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: YFB-621

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on July 27, 2000 at 14:24:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: YFB-621 posted by Mr. Peon on July 27, 2000 at 10:21:25:

Two notes up front: first, I'm an amateur player, not a pro. Second, nothing here should be construed as my saying that there is no such a thing as a poor interpretation of a score. I think the comments above about the Berlioz piece, for example, demonstrate a classic case.

I can thoroughly understand the frustration of viscerally disagreeing with the interpretation of the director. But remember, the people who pay your salary because they thought you were the best at your instrument also thought he was the best conductor. They may have been right or wrong on either occasion. But you ARE in your chair, and he IS at the podium. Thank goodness this is a free country (mostly). You can pick your little fanny up off the chair and leave any time you like, just like I can leave if I don't like the decisions my boss makes (and believe me, this is pretty common). I don't leave because, on balance, the benefits of my job outweigh the negatives. I daresay that yours must do likewise, or you'd be gone too.

Even playing some interpretations you disagree with, it would do you well to realise that, if you're making a living playing your instrument, 90% of the members of this list would gladly trade places with you, so your gripes sound kinda petty to most of us. You want to really convince me that it's that bad? Quit.

I quoted my Dad to J.D. above, but it applies to you, too: The boss isn't always right, but he's always the boss.

Follow Ups: