Laskey 30H works great

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on July 28, 2000 at 11:32:08:

Just giving some kudos for the Laskey 30H mouthpiece. I got the urge to purchase one after Jay Bertolet recommended it here on the BBS. Jay had just purchased a CSO York copy similiar to mine. Also, like myself, he had some reservations about his purchase until he tried the 30H mouthpiece. Well, I can say that the 30H is a great match for me and my horn also. The Shilke Helleburg II was what I was using on my Yorkbrunner before, because my PT-88, which worked very well on my Hirsbrunner HB-21, was not doing it for me on the new horn. The Shilke Helleburg II was better, but still lacking the sound of the PT-88 I have.

Scott Laskey was the original designer of the Helleburg II while he worked at the Shilke factory in Chicago. He has now purchased an expensive mouthpiece lathe and started his own company making mouthpieces for all brass instruments. The 30H started out as a Helleburg II, but has now evolved into its present incarnation. As Scott described it, people like the HII, but wanted more bottom end to the sound. The HII is a clean and focussed mouthpiece. The 30H is also, but seems to allow a bit more freedom in volume and sound. The bottom end is indeed bigger with this mouthpiece.

Bottom line is, if you have a larger horn and generally like the Helleburg II or other funnel type mouthpieces like the PT-48, then you might want to give the Laskey 30H a try.

sean

Follow Ups: