Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leaks in the mouth area

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Fence Sitter on July 28, 2000 at 11:33:10:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Leaks in the mouth area posted by Jay Bertolet on July 28, 2000 at 08:13:28:

I agree with you both! Remember, I was only playing Devil's Advocate, and am as prone to hyperbolae (the balloon thing was a stretch, no pun intended) as I am fond of big words.
Now, to Hellbanes original post: I think Jay is onto something there, how about an embouchure visualiser? (I think that's what it's called, the lolli-pop thing, you know.) If the mouthpiece is not set properly on the lips this will show it. And about this lip moistening, could there be too much saliva on the lips and mpc to create a good seal? I like to wet my lips, but I also like to wipe off my mpc with a (clean) rag between phrases when a lot of saliva collects. Another way to eliminate this puddling is to lean slightly forward with the tuba, thus solving two problems: the angle of the embouchure will be improved with slightly more pressure on the top lip leaving the bottom to vibrate more freely, and all your spit will run into the horn and out the spit valve (or get stuck in that loopy third valve slide and make funny bubbling noises).
Hope this post actually helps someone,
MF

Follow Ups: