Re: Overhauled Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlb on July 28, 2000 at 11:36:25:

In Reply to: Overhauled Tuba posted by Distressed on July 28, 2000 at 09:36:23:

Well, I've never had the direct experience, but fear of just that problem kept me from having my old Markneukirchen BBb done. It became pretty much unplayable from leaks and non-compression on the first two valves. Besides which, it needs a new lead pipe, several patches, serious undenting, etc., etc., etc.

At one point I took it to Osmun Music and Bob Osmun (I think it was himself) looked it over. Gave me an estimate of $2k for the metal and valve work, BEFORE any cosmetic stuff like re-lacquering.

He made a clear point also that this work would carry NO GUARANTEE of how the horn would play at that juncture. I understood that to mean that, if I wanted tweaking after reassembly, it would be done at extra cost.

Since a decent used BBb (for an amateur) can be had for $2k, and could be played before purchase, The old German BBb is now a planter.

Eventually, I switched to EEb and bought a very nice Mirafone 183-4U -- from Osmun -- for > $2k. So I think the advice was good and I'm glad I took it.

YMMV

Follow Ups: