Re: Re: YBB 641 low Ab mystery deepens!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on July 31, 2000 at 01:50:07:

In Reply to: Re: YBB 641 low Ab mystery deepens! posted by Chuck Jackson on July 30, 2000 at 18:22:56:

Hey, Chuck!

Long time, no see! I am a long-time "lurker" on this BBS, having posted only once in the last three years. But the thread re. 641's was just too good to pass by without comment.

I have had a full-time gig, though modest, gig for a while now...man, it has been fifteen years since you walked me through "Midsummer Night's Dream" in Dave's office at the old SOM! I got a good deal of motivation from your lessons. So, wending our way through the corridor of years: thank you for all of your help! As I remember, you were awaiting paperwork to get promoted and take over that studio...and since then? Hmm...?

Anyway, I had that old 641 for nine years and earned a nice chunk of change with it (including the G.I. Bill); I loved that horn so much. And, yes, mine had lots and lots of low Ab's. The horn suffered minor but nevertheless real acoustical damage when the leadpipe was redesigned. My personal instrument had really hefty wall thickness everywhere but the bell flare, which reminded me of a beer can at times. Good first axe for any person to own. Maybe you and I got lucky with ours, as so many seem to hate them. BTW, I do major redesign and customization work as a very enjoyable side income, and I have never seen another 641 as nice as mine was, nor have I ever seen another Yamaha BBb model that I liked at all. But the old version of the 641 was a nice baby. I bought it new with a nice hard case, gig bag, and shipping for $2250! The times have indeed changed. E-mail me if you take the notion...I have a great pic of you at the Brass Bell giving me the single digit salute (an instant classic as far as Kodak Moments go...). Oh, like you, I teach strings as well. Drop me a line so we can catch up!

Wade

Follow Ups: