Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Repair.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DaveC on August 01, 2000 at 07:48:13:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tuba Repair. posted by Daryl Hickman on July 31, 2000 at 21:20:57:

"Master Craftsman" always cracks me up.
If piano tuners, an even more conservative group than band techs, can organize and create a certification indicating level of accomplishment, so can we. I believe NAPBIRT is on the right track for this. However, NAPBIRT doesn't know what it's got. Band instrument repair techs, at least the conscientious ones, are very skilled and knowledgeable people. Unfortunately, time spent in the shop takes time from self-promotion, leaving the sales up to persons used to selling. That's why the title "Master Technician" is almost invariably used by those who aren't.
The Piano Technician's Guild requires sponsorship by a member and passing an examination before senior Guild members before membership is granted. In my store, I only recommend PTG members, as I am confident of their ability. Such a process would benefit the band repair service by raising real and perceived skill level of its participants. Then customers would actually know that "Master Craftsman" means something, and isn't just a title bestowed on a store's repairman by the store's owner.

Follow Ups: